Monday, July 23, 2012

Cast News Puzzle


The first person I talked to about mechanical puzzles was a guy named Allard in the Revomaze forums.  He kindly invited me to one of his puzzle parties in England.  I thought that was very nice of him so I took the opportunity to ask him a few questions about puzzles, which he expertly answered.  During the conversion, I mentioned the second puzzle I solved after the Mi Toys one.  The puzzle is called Cast News.  This puzzle is rated a 10 out of 10 in difficulty and was designed by one of Japan’s great puzzle designers.  A man by the name of Nob Yoshigahara.  The object of the puzzle is to take the two pieces apart and then put it back together.  I bought this puzzle from a vendor on Amazon and I was thrilled when the package arrived.  I wanted to see if I could solve a puzzle that is considered rather difficult.  When I finally removed the puzzle from the package, two qualities really stood out which were the weight and build of the puzzle.  The puzzle is sturdy and feels good in the hands.  This puzzle will probably survive a few generations.  I wanted to start solving it right away but I had to leave for an appointment.  With puzzle in hand, I walked out the door.  I performed a specific movement just to see what would happen and the thing opened!  I was shocked and delighted because it literally happened at the threshold of my doorway.  It took me less than 10 minutes to open the puzzle!  I took a minute or two to study the innards of the puzzles and then I understood how to replicate the solution.  As the days pasted, I wondered about the level 10 rating as well as the rating system in general.  While I did find the solution by chance, I wondered if all mechanical puzzles exhibited this quality.  Now that my puzzle collection has grown, I know that this is not the case.  Although, I’m glad that I did happen to find the solution by chance.  Frankly, it gave me confidence and sparked curiosity concerning mechanical puzzles.  I don’t know about you guys but to me that sound like very good puzzle design.  Hats off to Mr. Yoshigahara.  I probably would not be writing this blog if it wasn’t for his creation.  Thank you.    

3 comments:

  1. I also was lucky and solved this puzzle very quickly, under 2 minutes! I was sitting at a table, I would think this also makes it easier than walking around with it in your hand.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Try Cast Hooks, these took me an hour and it is supposed to be easy! It didn't help that my daughter came along first and separated the pieces, I had to start by getting them back together. She couldn't remember how she had gotten them apart.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh man that's nuts. It really does seem a bit harder to put those puzzles back together.

      Delete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...