Thursday, July 19, 2012

Cast Equa Puzzle


Hello puzzlers.  This review will consist of my first EPIC FAIL!  The puzzle I will be talking about is called the Cast Equa.  I know that this puzzle can be solved as some fellow puzzle bloggers have solved it.  This puzzle is produced by the Japanese puzzle company called Hanayama and was designed by Oscar van Deventer.  I received the puzzle from Puzzle Master and you can find the solution here.  However, I refuse to go that way.  In the far future, they will find my bones in dark cave clutching this freaking thing.  There is one thing to have tried and failed but there is something different when you try and cheat and still fail!  That’s right puzzlers I committed the ultimate sin against the puzzle.  Let me explain a few details about the puzzle first.  So the puzzle is composed of three pieces.  Two circular pieces are held in the center, while the third “contains” the first and second piece.  The objective of the puzzle is to take it apart and then put it back together.  On the first and second piece, there are small protrusions that restrict movement.  This is an important detail, as you will see later on.  So I was able to take the thing apart in less than an hour but I could not put the thing together to save my life!  Days passed and I still was unable to solve the thing.  The dreaded moment came late one night after a particular eventful day.  I was sipping an ice-cold diet dr.pepper and messing around with the puzzle.  After about an hour, I was feed up.  So I went to my garage and rummaged through the old tool box and found the instrument of destruction.  That’s right a set of red craftsman pliers.  Remember those extensions that strict the movement of the puzzle.  Well as you can guess, I tried to cut them off.  Don’t leave yet puzzlers it gets worst!  While I was able to cut a significant chunk off, I didn’t cut them well enough to free up the pieces!  Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!  I didn’t have the heart to continue to mutilate the puzzle.  To top it off, I didn’t take a picture before I started the puzzle and I have not been able to take it completely apart again so the picture this week resembles the original puzzle if it were ran over by a Mac truck.  So there it is puzzlers.  Don’t cry for me Stewart Coffin.  I will rise again from the ashes of defeat.  In a few days, I will talk about a puzzle that is considered more difficult than the Equa that I was able to solve.  Stay tuned.  Oh and don’t cut pieces off your puzzle it leads to having nightmares of metal puzzles kicking your ass.  

Update 07/22/12.  I think I will call this one filed, solved, and served.

9 comments:

  1. This is a very sad tale Moises. Buy another copy as soon as possible and tackle it at some future point.
    mhuti

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is a good idea mhuti. I think I might use a plasma torch on this one and show it who's the boss.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh shame on you - you turned to the dark side, a pair of pliers!! You destroyed one of my favourite puzzles! Buy it again and try to do it without mechanical assistance!

    Kevin
    Puzzlemad

    ReplyDelete
  4. So how many of the rest of us are going to send Moises a present ... a brand shiny new Equa to taunt him ...

    ReplyDelete
  5. The heavens have parted. Neil has entered the building! Yes please taunt me with all kinds of puzzles. I need to learn my lesson.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have an Equa that I have never solved. I would look at the solution before I tried a destructive technique!

    ReplyDelete
  7. George I think you really want to see the puzzle solved. I'll have to post a pic. Come here my precious Equa puzzle thingy. Time for a little more modification(evil chuckle followed by theme music).

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yikes, you really are diabolical!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...