Sunday, July 1, 2012

Blossom Puzzle


Hello again puzzle fans.  A lot of really cool puzzles have been coming out lately.  All I can do at the moment, is look at the reviews given by my fellow puzzle bloggers with envy.  I’m looking at you Allard.  That stickman milestone puzzle looks freaking cool!  Ok back to the review of a puzzle that isn’t a stickman but still a good puzzle.  This week I’m going to talk about a puzzle that was originally called Blossom by Bernhard Wiezorke.  The reason it is called Blossom is that each face of the completed puzzle is suppose to look like a flower.  Puzzle Master decided to call it Atom Bomb which in my opinion was a bad choice.  The puzzle was first introduced in the 17th International Puzzle Party in San Francisco.   

The puzzle is composed of four pieces.  Each piece has four wood spheres glued together in an L shape.  Three of the spheres are a natural wood color and one is scarlet.  There are two versions of this puzzle.  The other version is made of rhombic dodecahedra.  See the image below.  The puzzle comes assembled and the object is to take it apart and then put it back together.  Taking it apart is very simple.  Just pick the thing up and the four puzzle pieces will fall apart in your hands.  I would strongly suggest looking at the puzzle closely before picking it up so that way you can have a mental picture of what you are trying to achieve when you are putting it back together.  This is a good puzzle if you like to play practical jokes on people.  For example, telling someone that they just broke a rare 18th century puzzle when the puzzle falls apart in their hands ;)  Overall, a good puzzle.  Puzzle Master gives the consumer the opportunity to own a puzzle that was at the IPP for a very good price.  Currently the price is 11.95 which is not bad at all.  What I don’t understand is the fact that many puzzle stores don’t provide very much information about the puzzles they sell.  The story behind the puzzle makes the product more interesting.  Sure, there are bloggers like myself but not everyone wants to read our ramblings.  Anyway, I received this puzzle from Puzzle Master and if you need the solution then you need to jump up and slap someone.  Just kidding.  You can find the solution here.  Special thank to George Bell for the additional information and of course to Puzzle Place which is a great source of puzzle information for rookies like me.  Please see the comments section if you would like some additional information regarding the other version of the puzzle.
Photo by George Bell




4 comments:

  1. As far as I know, this puzzle was invented around 1997 by Bernhard Wiezorke. He called it "Blossom" because of the appearance of each face, which I much prefer over the Puzzlemaster name. It is sad that his name is not even mentioned by Puzzlemaster either.

    http://www.puzzle-place.com/wiki/Blossom

    I have the version in the photo on the above page made from beveled cubes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the information George. Blossom is a better name. I think I'm going to rewrite this review to reflect the information that you provided and to clarify a few points.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My beveled cube version does not come apart easily. It is also more difficult to put together, because the pieces are not quite identical and some combinations are too tight, others too loose. What I generally have to do is swap pieces a few times until I find a combination where it goes together nicely.

    You may find even with the sphere version that swapping pieces can change the fit. The sphere version probably has to be made with good accuracy for a perfect fit. It is more difficult to make accurately than you might think.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think its great that it falls apart. The twisted side of me likes to see people pick it up. That "Oh No!!!" expression when it falls apart just brings a warm smile to my face.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...